Monday, July 23, 2007

Two Cradle Theory: White on Black Crime

Class is a big part of this program,

my classes have been interesting. I've been learning about a lot of stuff that I am aware of and conscious about but, that I haven't ever been given formal instruction in. I guess that's the stuff I would be learning if I was an Africana Studies major. Oh well. We've been talking a lot about worldviews...like the European v. African worldview. They are strikingly different. Cheikh Anta Diop proposed one of the earliest schemes for articulating the components of the African and European worldviews. His work is usually referred to as the "Two Cradle Theory."

He proposes two primary cradles of human civilization. The earliest, rising near the equator in the southern region was on the continent of Africa and was "Black in race family identification." A later cradle also evolved relatively independent from the earlier cradle. This second cradle was located in the north in Europe and was "White/Caucasian in race family identification."

The African Cradle is characterized as "matrilineal, monotheistic, communal-collectivistic, congenial and nonracial in social relations, and sedentary-agrarian in residential, economic and life-style patterns." The European Cradle is characterized as "patrilineal, polytheistic, individualistic, suspicious/aggressive and racially oriented in social relations, and nomadic-hunting in residential, economic and life-style patterns." The European worldview "defines an antagonistic and conflictual theme in human-nature relations. The emphasis is placed on human intervention into nature to achieve mastery and gain control over nature through the power-based mechanisms of aggression, domination, oppression, suppression, repression, and the unnatural alteration of reording of all objects in nature." A basic theme that evolved from the European worldview is that of the "survival of the fittest." On the other hand, the African worldview "defines human-nature relations as interdependent and inseparable. The fundamental assumption or ethos in African cosmolgy [the structure of reality from a particular racial-cultural perspective/experience] is that of 'Human-Nature Unity', oneness or harmony with nature, including complementarity, balance, and reciprocity in all of existence." Therefore, the basic values or beliefs that run evident in the African worldview are "principles of inclusiveness and synthesis, cooperation and collective responsibility, groupness, sameness and commonality, and spirituality."


This "two cradle theory" isn't really that new to my education but I haven't been exposed to literature that supports it so emphatically. The theories make it easier to explain the way history has turned out. Due to the ideals that the Europeans developed for themselves they felt it was right in line with their lifestyles to go ahead and colonize/rape/imperialize all of the people of color of the world especially those located on the "dark continent." It's an even sadder situation because now that we [black people] have been forced to intertwine with Europeans we have begun to lose some of our worldview and take on characteristics of the European worldview. We are not completely transformed/brainwashed but we subconsciously think like them. We have put an emphasis on materialism and individuality forgetting that a communal way of life is what has made us so successful and powerful over the span of time.

It's a lot to think about. It's a lot to wrap your mind around. It's even more to put your finger on. I just listen and learn and think and think and think some more. I can't help but get emotional. Sometimes anger fills my heart. Sometimes I'm in a rage. Quite honestly I can't even look at white people anymore. I don't look them in the eyes. They aren't worthy and they don't deserve my gaze. I'm just trying not to lose myself in this game called life. They've tried so hard to get me to hate myself and my people. They keep trying,

every day. But, I will not give in. I will embrace myself and my beauty and most importantly my people and the beauty of them.


Think. Think. Think. Learn. Learn. Learn. Grow. Grow. Grow. Always. Always. Always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.